qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Cross-Compiling Qemu for Aarch64?

From: Mian M. Hamayun
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Cross-Compiling Qemu for Aarch64?
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 13:09:26 +0200

Hello Everyone,

I am currently trying to compile qemu for Aarch64 but so far I haven't been able to configure qemu for this purpose. My first objective is to just configure and cross-compile qemu for Aarch64, which is currently blocked by the qemu's dependency on cross-compiled "glib-2.12".
For example, when I use the following configure command:

./configure --cross-prefix=aarch64-linux-gnu- --target-list=arm-softmmu --enable-fdt --static

I get the following error:
ERROR: glib-2.12 required to compile QEMU

This is a well-known dependency and the following pages are linked to this issue (directly or indirectly) and I have tried all of them without any success:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linaro-oe/+bug/1097561
http://people.debian.org/~wookey/bootstrap.html
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/CrossCompiling
https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/DevPlatform/CrossCompile/arm64bootstrap

I have also tried the latest git repository from John Rigby but I get the same error:
https://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/jcrigby/qemu-aarch64.git;a=summary

Anyways, I want to know how we can resolve this dependency ?

Some of you might suggest to cross-compile the glib-2.12 from sources found at:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/6.3/general/glib2.html
http://www.gtk.org/api/2.6/glib/glib-cross-compiling.html

but even this option doesn't work for me as the apparent lacking support for Aarch64 in "glib-2.12".
I have used the following configure command:
./configure --prefix=/my/prefix/path --host=aarch64-linux-gnu --cache-file=aarch64.cache

with the following aarch64.cache file contents:
glib_cv_long_long_format=I64
glib_cv_stack_grows=no

Any pointers and/or directions for a possible solution will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Hamayun