qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] tap devices not receiving packets from a bridge

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] tap devices not receiving packets from a bridge
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 15:09:06 +0300

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 12:27:52PM +0100, Nicholas Thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 11:40 +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 09:20:55AM +0100, Nicholas Thomas wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Switching to -netdev is non-trivial for me, unfortunately.
> >
> > Interesting. Why is that?
>
> Our setup is bond0 <-> vlanX <-> bridgeX <-> [ tap devices ] and we do
> all that outside of qemu at the moment, specifying -net tap,ifname=... -
> we also run some processes on the TAP interface and insert a bunch of
> ebtables rules between creating it and starting qemu. Duplicating that
> with -net bridge seemed close to impossible, and -netdev tap was
> throwing EBUSY from /dev/net/tun. I guess our external magic should be
> using ,fd= instead.

I'm not sure what's wrong with -netdev tap.
You don't have to use fd=, you can specify ifname= with netdev as well.
Here's what I use:

-net nic,model=virtio,netdev=foo
-netdev tap,id=foo,ifname=msttap0,script=/home/mst/ifup,downscript=no,vhost=on

the netdev/id pair above is almost the same as vlan=20
in your example, except there's always exactly one frontend
and one backend in the netdev case, vlans let you connect
more than 2 devices.