qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Writing a CAN driver for QEMU

From: Rempel, Cynthia
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Writing a CAN driver for QEMU
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 21:23:28 +0000

>> Would following the guidance in:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-07/msg00842.html
>> increase the probability the [CAN] device simulation would be committed to
>> qemu?
>Yes, I think so.
>
>Here is also some help which shows the fundamental
>requirements for new contributions:
>
>http://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch
Thank you! This is very helpful :)

>Are you planning to emulate an existing CAN controller,
>or do you want to design a new virtual CAN controller
>from scratch?
If feasible, we would prefer to emulate a CAN controller that has a LinCan
port, so that we have a "known good" software configuration to work with...

http://ortcan.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=ortcan/lincan;a=tree;f=lincan/src

We would want to have the student write an emulation for the CAN portion of one
(1) of the CAN controllers... We will want to be able to hook it into
qemu-system-arm... which of these controllers would it be more feasible to
write an emulation for?

ADLINK 7841 card
AIM104CAN PC/104 card
BFAD can