qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VFIO VGA test branches

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VFIO VGA test branches
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 21:17:11 -0600

On Sun, 2013-05-19 at 23:26 +0400, Maik Broemme wrote:
> Hi Knut,
>
> Knut Omang <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > I've had hdmi audio working with an HD7850, but only in Windows (7) and
> > > it was using legacy interrupts for some reason instead of MSI.  I wonder
> > > if Liux guests might work with snd_hda_intel.enable_msi=0.  I'm not sure
> > > what's wrong with MSI, but it seems to be new with the PCI bus reset
> > > support.
> >
> > In my first tries, Windows were just using a generic
> > VGA driver, which still seems to work perfect with reboots and everything
> > and in full screen resolution (1920x1200).
> > However after installing the Catalyst AMD driver stack, upon boot
> > Windows 7 now consequently get a BSOD from the graphics driver
> > with the message:
> >
> > "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed"
> > - a picture of the BSOD screen attached.
> >
> > I attach the corresponding vfio log where I added some timing code to
> > make it easier to see when the BSOD happens (with 2 seconds of silence
> > in the log before the VM reboots, I believe this is at 09:28:32-34 in
> > the log.
> >
> > Similar behaviour both just after reboot/power cycle of the host and
> > subsequent VM boot attempts.
> >
> > This is still with the HD7700 as passed through device, but after a
> > motherboard firmware upgrade (to F14) which did not seem to affect the
> > observed behaviour on Windows prior to Catalyst install or with Linux
> > guest, neither did it fix the bug in selecting primary devices as I
> > was hoping for.
> >
> > Let me know if you have ideas for further debugging this,
> >

> I had a similar problem a couple of days ago and posted it in this list.
> I got similar BSOD and tested already the following configurations:
>
> 1) machine: q35 / kvm: yes / vga: none   / x-vga: on  = qemu freeze
> 2) machine: q35 / kvm: no  / vga: none   / x-vga: on  = qemu freeze
>    (with errors below)
> 3) machine: q35 / kvm: yes / vga: none   / x-vga: off = qemu runs with
>    100% CPU due to no VGA init (no picture)
> 4) machine: q35 / kvm: yes / vga: cirrus / x-vga: off = qemu runs with
>    BOSD on loading atikmpag.sys
> 5) machine: pc  / kvm: yes / vga: cirrus / x-vga: off = qemu runs fine
>
> However I've re-run the BSOD case already with the following branches
> from Alex:
>
> git://github.com/awilliam/linux-vfio.git vfio-vga-reset
> git://github.com/awilliam/qemu-vfio.git vfio-vga-reset
>
> Also with latest seabios and it worked so far. No more BSOD and reboot
> of VM was also possible without suspend / resume the host between.

Good to hear.  It looks like you have the same motherboard as my AMD
test system.  An HD7850 in that system runs quite reliably with the
branches above although I do occasionally get VGA palette corruption.

Are you still require -vga cirrus or do the -vga none, x-vga=on cases
work now too?  Thanks,

Alex