qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [qemu-devel][libvirt] Default machine type setting for

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [qemu-devel][libvirt] Default machine type setting for ppc64
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 13:15:25 +0100

On 21 May 2013 13:04, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
> We've talked in the past about having an accelerator specific machine
> default.  I think this is a perfectly reasonable thing to do and would
> solve the problem for ARM and for PPC.

For ARM I would prefer not to have a default at all, and make
the next level up specify it. It's reasonable to have a default
machine choice for when you create a VM configuration; it's
not so sensible to have a default that's picked every time
you run the VM. The thing I think is most likely to be the
useful choice for KVM/ARM isn't even in the tree yet...

There's no user level difference between "pick whether you
wanted a model of a versatile-PB or a zaurus" and "pick
whether you wanted a model of an x86-PC or an ARM zaurus".
At the moment we require the user to specify the latter choice
(by having them in separate executables) but try to guess
the former.

> That said, why is mac99 the default?

Presumably because it was a sensible choice when it was originally
put in, and once you have a default you can't change it without
breaking peoples' command lines.

thanks
-- PMM