qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Could configure generate QEMU's linker scripts?

From: Ed Maste
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Could configure generate QEMU's linker scripts?
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 13:51:42 -0400

On 20 May 2013 13:21, Richard Henderson <address@hidden> wrote:
> In general I believe that using the -Ttext-segment ADDR flag for ld
> would completely obviate the need for even editing the link script.

That sounds cleaner, although there's a wrinkle for FreeBSD.  We're
still using binutils version 2.17.50 in the base system, since it is
the last one licensed under GPLv2, and it doesn't support the
-Ttext-segment flag.  There is -Ttext but it still leaves some parts
behind at the default load address.  I assume that the reason for
changing the QEMU load address is to leave the default free for the
guest application to use, making -Ttext unsuitable.

If we can't use an approach along the lines of my earlier sed script
we'll just have to find a way to support -Ttext-segment in FreeBSD,
either by having the original patch that introduced it made available
under GPLv2, reimplementing the functionality, or by requiring use of
a later binutils (from the FreeBSD ports tree).

One oddity I noticed is that alpha and s390x seem to not use the ld
script (with the comment "The default placement of the application is
fine" in configure), so I'm not sure why QEMU includes those files.
It also looks like mips.ld may have no changes from the default (it
leaves the load address at 0x0400000).