qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] [qemu-devel] Default machine type setting for

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] [qemu-devel] Default machine type setting for ppc64
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 15:01:48 -0500

"Daniel P. Berrange" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 11:12:26AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>> I have also argued in the past that it would be useful for libvirt to
>> support the idea of a template, where you can specify a domain XML that
>> inherits defaults from the template.  We've already done things like
>> this for networking, nwfilter, and even secret management (in domain
>> XML, you declare that you are using a named network object, and that
>> network object serves as the template instead of you having to hard-code
>> all the elements into your domain XML), so we have a design to base it
>> on.  But until someone adds such a feature for libvirt, then OpenStack
>> should be passing explicit XML to libvirt, and tracking defaults at the
>> OpenStack layer.
>
> I don't think the idea of a template belongs in libvirt.

This is fine.  But the conversation started with a statement that it's
QEMU's job to define reasonable defaults and libvirt just exposes
those.

But in QEMU, we punt this problem by letting a user globally override
this default.  libvirt hides this ability from the end user.

So either it's libvirt's problem to solve, or you should expose the
ability to set the global setting within QEMU.  We can't just point our
fingers at each other and hope the problem goes away :-)

Regards,

Anthony Liguori