qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] snabbswitch integration with QEMU for userspace etherne

From: Julian Stecklina
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] snabbswitch integration with QEMU for userspace ethernet I/O
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 14:32:50 +0200

On 05/28/2013 07:00 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> We aren't going to support any interface that enables out of tree
> devices.  This is just plugins in a different form with even more
> downsides.  You cannot easily keep track of dirty info, the guest
> physical address translation to host is difficult to keep in sync
> (imagine the complexity of memory hotplug).

Is there a document describing the current qemu VM migration process,
especially the dirty page tracking, except the code?

As a side note: The downsides of a naive approach are about that of PCI
passtrough devices with the opportunity to fix them later on. That being
said, I can live with this not being included in mainline qemu.

Julian