qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Could configure generate QEMU's linker scripts?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Could configure generate QEMU's linker scripts?
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 15:57:45 +0100

On 3 June 2013 15:23, Richard Henderson <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 06/02/2013 10:15 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> So for a new architecture how do we determine whether we need
>> to fiddle with the start address or not? (More specifically,
>> is aarch64 going to need a linker script or just to go in the
>> configure list of "hosts which don't need one" ?)
>
> Basically, for a non-PIE build, is there room to run the
> -linux-user guest binary?  That means getting out of the
> way of the guest's default link location.  If the host
> default link location is above 2G you may be good; above
> 4G is even better.

Well, the output of ld --verbose says:

  PROVIDE (__executable_start = SEGMENT_START("text-segment",
0x400000)); . = SEGMENT_START("text-segment", 0x400000) +
SIZEOF_HEADERS;

and objdump of a random aarch64 binary suggests the
text segment defaults to a vaddr of 0x400000, so I guess
that means we need to change the start address.

thanks
-- PMM