qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virsh live migration w/o shared storage fails with erro

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virsh live migration w/o shared storage fails with error as vm is not running
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:44:10 +0200

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 10:31:04AM +0530, chandrashekar shastri wrote:
> We are testing the upstream KVM with :
>
> Kernel, Qemu, Libvirt, Virt-Manager is built from the source (git).
>
> kernel version : 3.9.0+
> qemu version : QEMU emulator version 1.5.0
> libvirt version : 1.0.5
> virt-install : 0.600.3
>
> I have followed the below steps to test the "Live migration w/o
> shared storage" feature :
>
> 1. Created the qemu-img create -f qcow2 vm.qcow2 12G on the
> destination host which is same as the source.
> 2. Started the guest on the source
> 3. Started the vncdisplay to monitor the guest
> 4. Initiated the migration "virsh migrate --live rhel64-64
> qemu+ssh://9.126.89.202/system --verbose --copy-storage-all"
> 5. It started the copying the storage from souce to destination
> (conitinously monitored it was growing)
> 6. Guest on the destination was paused and was running on the source
> 7. At some point the VM on the source shutdown and got an error on
> the vnc display as " Viewport:    write: Broken pipe (32)" and the
> VM on the destination was undefined.
>
> Below is the libvirt debug log, please let me with your comments.
>
> Debug log:

What about /var/log/libvirt/qemu/rhel64-64.log?  That is the QEMU
command-line and stderr log.

Also can you try without copy-storage-all just to see if migration
completes successfully?  The guest will act weird once it migrates since
the disk is zeroed but it will isolate the failure to
--copy-storage-all.

Stefan