qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU Memory subsystem

From: Basim Baig
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Memory subsystem
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 21:51:51 -0400

Hello,

I am currently working on a project where I aim to log every memory access made by a virtual machine running inside of QEMU (for analyzing kernel behavior). My initial approach is to possibly hook into the QEMU mmu implementation and find the place where the guest->host page translation or lookup is done. In this way I can know any pages accessed by the guest (This is only the first level. Eventually I would want to get logging at pointer granularity). I have been reading through the source code and online documentations for a week now to get a general sense of the qemu internals and codebase.

I just wanted some advice on what direction I should head to (or who I can talk to) If I really want to get into depth of how I can make significant changes to qemu memory management and mmu subsystem.

Thanks,
Mirza Basim Baig
Stony Brook University