qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 2/8] i.MX: Implement a more complete version of t

From: Jean-Christophe DUBOIS
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 2/8] i.MX: Implement a more complete version of the GPT timer.
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 00:32:59 +0200

On 06/27/2013 12:15 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 26 June 2013 22:57, Jean-Christophe DUBOIS <address@hidden> wrote:
Names don't feel really useful in the second case as they are
indistinguishable. Is the consensus around "generic" names (like MMIO or
"Ctrl regs") without adding reference to the device a good one for all
platforms?
Just leave the memory region and vmstate names as they
were before your patches.

OK, I will.

Now, please notice that the EPIT timer has been changed recently (on main line) with the exact same code model as the one proposed in this patch. So it is not on par either with any consensus that might have been made on VMState or memory region naming.

JC

(Personally I think it's entirely fine to include the device
name in the memory region name. These strings are for debugging,
so if I print region->name in my debugger it's much more helpful
if it says "imx-serial" than if it just says "regs".)

-- PMM