qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-img create encryption

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-img create encryption
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 13:57:43 +0100

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 08:05:38AM -0400, Hamilton, Peter A. wrote:
> > It also means you can't change the password of an existing image - you have
> > to create a new image with a new password & re-encrypt the data.
>
> Following up on this point, since "qemu-img create" cannot be used to specify
> a password, is "qemu-img convert" the only command that can be used to
> provide

Any command which actually reads/writes data will take a password. So, yes,
I'd expect 'convert' to ask for one.

> one? Furthermore, since "convert" conducts a full copy of the source image,
> does this mean that it is not possible to have an encrypted CoW image with an
> encrypted backing file, where each is encrypted with a different password?
> The
> tests I have conducted up to this point seem to indicate that this is true.

I'm honestly not too sure about the status of encryption wrt backing stores.
I wouldn't surprise me if you needed to use the same password for both the
top & lower level backing files. Equally though, there's no technical reason
why this should be required - just an impl limitation, if true.

Daniel