qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Undeterministic behaviour with icount.

From: Frederic Konrad
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Undeterministic behaviour with icount.
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 17:06:15 +0200

On 10/07/2013 15:45, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 08/07/2013 19:32, Frederic Konrad ha scritto:
Hi everybody,

We get some issues with reverse execution caused by indeterminism.

Something catched our attention:
static void icount_warp_rt(void *opaque), cpus.c:276

We have the feeling that icount is synchronized with rt_clock, is that
possible?
When the CPU is idle, yes.

Note that the same thing happened before the series you linked.  This is
the relevant code:

-        /* Wait for either IO to occur or the next
-           timer event.  */
-        add = qemu_next_deadline();
-        /* We advance the timer before checking for IO.
-           Limit the amount we advance so that early IO
-           activity won't get the guest too far ahead.  */
-        if (add > 10000000)
-            add = 10000000;
-        delta += add;
-        qemu_icount += qemu_icount_round (add);

It was adding to the icount while waiting for the next timer event to
happen.

According to this Paolo's series
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-04/msg01271.html>
this must be called when the cpus are sleeping, but
I saw this called frequently during the execution, is that the expected
behaviour?
What workload are you running?  For anything that is not CPU bound I'd
expect that to be the case.

Paolo

If not what's the best way to fix that?
Hi Paolo,

Thanks for your answer.

For the moment the workload is a kernel boot. We removed everything from the
board.

So if it's the case, vm_clock will run non deterministic and we can't replay.

I just send a series about that.

Fred