qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question on aio_poll

From: Alex Bligh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question on aio_poll
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 15:46:23 +0100

Stefan,

--On 23 July 2013 14:18:25 +0200 Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:

Secondly, the tests I am writing for the timer fail because g_poll is
not called, because busy is false. This is because I haven't got an
fd set up. But in the instance where aio_poll is called with
blocking=true and there are no fd's to wait on, surely aio_poll should
either hang indefinitely or (perhaps better) assert, rather than return
immediately which is a recipe for an unexpected busywait? If I have
timers, it should be running those timers rather than returning.

FWIW this goes away in my series that gets rid of .io_flush():

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2013-07/msg00092.html

Oooh another overlapping patch series into the mix :-)

Unfortunately there is an issue with the series which I haven't had time
to look into yet.  I don't remember the details but I think make check
is failing.

The current qemu.git/master code is doing the "correct" thing though.
Callers of aio_poll() are using it to complete any pending I/O requests
and process BHs.  If there is no work left, we do not want to block
indefinitely.  Instead we want to return.

If we have no work to do (no FDs) and have a timer, then this should
wait for the timer to expire (i.e. wait until progress has been
made). Hence without a timer, it would be peculiar if it returned
earlier.

I think it should behave like select really, i.e. if you give it
an infinite timeout (blocking) and no descriptors to work on, it hangs
for ever. At the very least it should warn, as this is in my opinion
an error by the caller.

I left this how it was in the end (I think), and got round it by
creating a bogus pipe for the test to listen to.

Thirdly, I don't quite understand how/why busy is being set. It seems
to be set if the flush callback returns non-zero. That would imply (I
think) the fd handler has something to write. But what if it is just
interested in any data to read that is available (and never writes)? If
this is the only fd aio_poll has, it would appear it never polls.

The point of .io_flush() is to select file descriptors that are awaiting
I/O (either direction).  For example, consider an iSCSI TCP socket with
no I/O requests pending.  In that case .io_flush() returns 0 and we will
not block in aio_poll().  But if there is an iSCSI request pending, then
.io_flush() will return 1 and we'll wait for the iSCSI response to be
received.

The effect of .io_flush() is that aio_poll() will return false if there
is no I/O pending.

Right, but take that example. If the tcp socket is idle because it's an
iSCSI server and it is waiting for an iSCSI request, then io_flush
returns 0. That will mean busy will not be set, and if it's the only
FD, g_poll won't be called AT ALL - forget the fact it won't block -
because it will exit aio_poll a couple of lines before the g_poll. That
means you'll never actually poll for the incoming iSCSI command.
Surely that can't be right!

Or are you saying that this type of FD never appears in the aio poll
set so it is just returning for the main loop to handle them.

It turned out that this behavior could be implemented at the block layer
instead of using the .io_flush() interface at the AioContext layer.  The
patch series I linked to above modifies the code so AioContext can
eliminate the .io_flush() concept.

I've just had a quick read of that.

I think the key one is:
 http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2013-07/msg00099.html

I note you've eliminated 'busy' - hurrah.

I note you now have:
    if (ctx->pollfds->len == 1) {
        return progress;
    }

Is the '1' there the event notifier? How do we know there is only
one of them?

When adapting this for timers, I think it should be returning true only
if a an AIO dispatch did something, or a BH was executed, or a timer ran.
Specifically if the poll simply times out, it should not be returning
true unless a timer ran. Correct?

Yes, the return value is about making progress.  If there is still work
pending then it must return true.  If there is no work pending it must
return false.

Yup, you made the same fix as me at the end of aio_poll in my PATCHv2
RFC series.

On a related point, the g_source appears very fragile in respect of
false wakeups. I would not be confident that it would not busy-loop.
See the comments in the last of the patches in my series.

--
Alex Bligh