qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/8] arm AioContext with its own timer stuff

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/8] arm AioContext with its own timer stuff
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 14:48:40 +0200

On 2013-07-25 14:41, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Jan Kiszka <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> s/QEMUClock/QEMUTimerList/ ? :)
>>
>> What do you mean? If the content of struct QEMUClock remained the same,
>> that would just paper over a design mistake.
>
> QEMUClock really isn't much more than a reference to a clock source,
> an enabled/disabled flag, and a timer list.
>
> The point of having one QEMUClock per AioContext is to allow each
> thread's event loop to have its own timers, without synchronization.
>
> What is the design mistake?  I only see poor naming.

The concept of clocks (with start/stop property) and active timers shall
not be mixed, they are independent. Just factor out a separate list of
running timers and pass that to the infrastructure that deals with them.
I attached them to a QEMUAlarmTimer instance, you will likely need a
different abstraction.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SES-DE