qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vhost acceleration broken?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vhost acceleration broken?
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 08:28:00 -0500

Rusty Russell <address@hidden> writes:

> Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> writes:
>> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Rusty Russell <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>>         Using latest kernel and master qemu, the following doesn't use
>>> vhost acceleration:
>>>
>>> sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -machine pc,accel=kvm $ARGS -m 1024 -net
>>> tap,script=/home/rusty/bin/kvm-ifup,downscript=no,vhost=on -net
>>> nic,model=virtio -drive file=$QEMUIMAGE,index=0,media=disk,if=virtio
>>> -kernel arch/x86/boot/bzImage -append "root=/dev/vda1 $KARGS $*"
>>
>> sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm $ARGS -m 1G -netdev
>> tap,script=/home/rusty/bin/kvm-ifup,vhost=on,id=net0 -device
>> virtio-net-pci,netdev=net0 -drive file=$QEMUIMAGE,if=virtio -kernel
>> arch/x86/boot/bzImage -append "root=/dev/vda1 $KARGS $*"
>>
>> We really ought to strongly deprecate -net because it's misleading.  I
>> suspect we can reasonably add a warning for model=virtio saying
>> "please don't use this" and eventually remove it entirely.
>
> Thankyou, that works.
>
> I'm sure you've thought more deeply about the qemu cmdline than I have,
> so I won't comment.

Any comment you would make is certainly fair.

We have a pretty awful legacy command line set that comes from years of
half-baked concepts and the years when too many people just committed
random shit to the tree.

I think we probably need to start planning for a clean break.  Maybe
that's a good target for a 2.0 version...

Regards,

Anthony Liguori