qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Licensing question

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Licensing question
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 07:19:03 +0200

Am 31.07.2013 03:50, schrieb Erik de Castro Lopo:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a patch I would like to submit and I am currently running it past
> my employer's legal department. The legal department has identified 10
> different licenses in the Qemu codebase and has asked about the two files
> I am modifying:
>
>     linux-user/syscall.c
>     linux-user/syscall_defs.h
>
> For the first its easy as it is clearly marked as GPLv2+. The second is
> unmarked. Is there some blanket statement somewhere that all files that
> are not explicitly marked are under say GPLv2+?
>
> Cheers,
> Erik

No, there is no such statement.

There is an agreement that files with GPL should be GPLv2+
(not only GPLv2), but files may also use other free licenses.

In file LICENSE, it is said that QEMU as a whole is released
under the GNU General Public License.

Some files are copied from Linux and therefore must use
the Linux license (usually GPLv2).

syscall_defs.h might be a copy from Linux (=> GPLv2).
If not, the default rule from LICENSE could be applied (=> GPL).

Regards,
Stefan