qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Using virtio-mmio

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Using virtio-mmio
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 11:41:16 +0100

On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 10:32:14AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 31 July 2013 23:45, Richard W.M. Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
> > ~/d/qemu/arm-softmmu/qemu-system-arm \
> >   -m 512 -M vexpress-a9 -machine kernel_irqchip=on \
>
> The combination of 'vexpress-a9' and kernel_irqchip=on
> don't make any sense -- the former implies "not using
> KVM" because KVM needs an A15 guest CPU, whereas the
> latter implies "using KVM". In any case kernel_irqchip=on
> is the default when using KVM.
> You can just delete the kernel_irqchip option.

I did notice that it seemed to do nothing!

> You might want to consider -M vexpress-a15, if you
> want a setup that will let you use KVM (will probably
> need to reconfig your kernel appropriately; may
> need to discard "earlyprintk" if you compiled the
> kernel with the dodgy "guess earlyprintk serial port
> address based on exact revision-and-patchlevel of CPU"
> option.)

Unfortunately vexpress-a15 causes the kernel to fail to boot.  I guess
the Fedora kernel is not configured to work with A15 yet.

Thanks,

Rich.

$ grep VEXPRESS config-3.9.9-302.fc19.armv7hl
CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS=y
CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CORTEX_A5_A9_ERRATA=y
CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA9X4=y
CONFIG_SENSORS_VEXPRESS=m
CONFIG_VEXPRESS_CONFIG=y
CONFIG_REGULATOR_VEXPRESS=m