qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 3/5] timer: make qemu_clock_enable sync between

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 3/5] timer: make qemu_clock_enable sync between disable and timer's cb
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 16:28:44 +0200

 On Aug 01 2013, Alex Bligh wrote:
> Paolo,

> >>Yes. I believe there will be a similar problem if a timer
> >>created or deleted an AioContext (clearly less likely!)

> >>I'm not sure that's true. If two AioContexts run in different
> >>threads, would their BH's and timers not also run in those two
> >>different threads?
> >
> >Suppose a thread wants to do qemu_clock_enable(foo, false), and the
> >code after qemu_clock_enable assumes that no timers are running.
> >Then you should move that code to a bottom half in foo's AioContext.
>
> foo is a QEMUClock here.
>
> A QEMUClock may not have just one AioContext. It could have several
> each operated by a different thread.

Oops, you're right.

Checking the code for callers of qemu_clock_enable() it seems like there
shouldn't be any deadlocks.  So it should work if qemu_clock_enable
walks all of the timerlists and waits on each event.

But we should document the expectations since they are different from
the current code.

Paolo