qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] pvpanic device should not be automatically included as

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] pvpanic device should not be automatically included as an internal device
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 16:18:28 +0200

On 08/01/13 15:08, Marcel Apfelbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The problem with pvpanic being an internal device is that VMs running
> operating systems without a driver for this device will have problems
> when qemu will be upgraded (from qemu without this pvpanic).
>
> The outcome may be, for example: in Windows(let's say XP) the Device manager
> will open a "new device" wizard and the device will appear as an unrecognized
> device.

Only happens when also changing the machine type on upgrade as it is
turned off on old machine types.

But, yes, pvpanic will show up as "Unknown device" without driver and
with the funky yellow exclamation mark in device manager in windows
guests.  Newer windows versions don't kick the "new device" wizard.  But
still I have my doubts that it is a good idea to add it unconditionally ...

cheers,
  Gerd