qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu virtfs 9p not working on arm?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu virtfs 9p not working on arm?
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 17:43:39 +0100

On 1 August 2013 16:59, Rich Felker <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm using -M versatilepb -cpu arm1136-r2, also copied from the
> Aboriginal Linux image since that's what the kernel was intended to
> run on. I'm on the software side, not the hardware side, so I'm far
> from an expert in understanding arm hardware variants. (I'm using qemu
> to test software and make sure the arm-specific asm is correct, not to
> test deployments.)
>
> From what I understand, this board has PCI. However, while doing some
> searches based on your question, I found this which may be relevant:
>
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2013-05/msg02237.html
>
> Does this sound like it could be the issue?

It might be. If so, you'll probably find that other PCI devices
(including but not limited to other virtio devices) also don't
work -- this will be useful in narrowing down whether the problem
is specific to our virtio-9p code somehow (seems unlikely as it
doesn't do anything particularly odd for a virtio device), or
specific to virtio-pci (unlikely again, there's no ARM specific
code at that point) or related to PCI.

The kernel's support for the PCI controller on this board
is definitely known to be pretty buggy and broken, so it's
a strong candidate for the culprit here.

-- PMM