qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Are there plans to achieve ram live Snapshot feature?

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Are there plans to achieve ram live Snapshot feature?
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:21:19 +0200

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 4:53 AM, Wenchao Xia <address@hidden> wrote:
> 于 2013-8-12 19:33, Stefan Hajnoczi 写道:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Alex Bligh <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> --On 12 August 2013 11:59:03 +0200 Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden>

>>> How would you capture the state of emulated hardware which might not
>>> be in the guest RAM?
>>

>> Exactly the same way vmsave works today.  It calls the device's save
>> functions which serialize state to file.
>>
>> The difference between today's vmsave and the fork(2) approach is that
>> QEMU does not need to wait for guest RAM to be written to file before
>> resuming the guest.
>>
>> Stefan
>>
>   I have a worry about what glib says:
>
> "On Unix, the GLib mainloop is incompatible with fork(). Any program
> using the mainloop must either exec() or exit() from the child without
> returning to the mainloop. "

This is fine, the child just writes out the memory pages and exits.
It never returns to the glib mainloop.

>   There is another way to do it: intercept the write in kvm.ko(or other
> kernel code). Since the key is intercept the memory change, we can do
> it in userspace in TCG mode, thus we can add the missing part in KVM
> mode. Another benefit of this way is: the used memory can be
> controlled. For example, with ioctl(), set a buffer of a fixed size
> which keeps the intercepted write data by kernel code, which can avoid
> frequently switch back to user space qemu code. when it is full always
> return back to userspace's qemu code, let qemu code save the data into
> disk. I haven't check the exactly behavior of Intel guest mode about
> how to handle page fault, so can't estimate the performance caused by
> switching of guest mode and root mode, but it should not be worse than
> fork().

The fork(2) approach is portable, covers both KVM and TCG, and doesn't
require kernel changes.  A kvm.ko kernel change also won't be
supported on existing KVM hosts.  These are big drawbacks and the
kernel approach would need to be significantly better than plain old
fork(2) to make it worthwhile.

Stefan