qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/2] target-arm: Provide '-cpu host' when running

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/2] target-arm: Provide '-cpu host' when running KVM
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 19:24:57 +0100

On 14 August 2013 19:15, Alexander Graf <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 14.08.2013, at 20:11, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> (c) the code is less neat if you have to do "ask kernel
>>    for best-match, if it has it use it otherwise fall
>>    back to [small list of legacy cpus]" than if you
>>    just have "try best-match/legacy1/legacy2/legacy3".
>
> I don't understand this point. Could you please elaborate?

See the code in the patch that basically says "try each
value in this array until one works". For v7 the only
two things we need to try are 'host' and 'a15' (because
any kernel which doesn't know about 'host' must be an
a15-only one); for v8 we have three legacy entries in
the array. If you have to ask the kernel for the best-match
then it's a special case before hand rather than just another
entry in the list.

This is frankly a pretty weak argument though; I just
liked that bit of code when I wrote it :-)

-- PMM