qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Convert AioContext to Gsource sub classes

From: Michael Roth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Convert AioContext to Gsource sub classes
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:32:07 -0500

Quoting Michael Roth (2013-08-15 10:23:20)
> Quoting Wenchao Xia (2013-08-13 03:44:39)
> > 于 2013-8-13 1:01, Michael Roth 写道:
> > > Quoting Paolo Bonzini (2013-08-12 02:30:28)

> > > Would it be possible to use glib for our nested loops as well by just
> > > setting a higher priority for the AioContext GSource?
> > >
> > > Stefan and I were considering how we could make use of his "drop
> > > ioflush" patches to use a common mechanism to register fd events, but
> > > still allow us to distinguish between AioContext and non-AioContext
> > > for nested loops. I was originally thinking of using prepare() functions
> > > to filter out non-AioContext events, but that requires we implement
> > > on GSource's with that in mind, and non make use of pre-baked ones
> > > like GIOChannel's, and bakes block stuff into every event source
> > > implementation.
> > >
> >    Besides priority, also g_source_set_can_recurse() can help.
> >    With a deeper think, I found a harder problem:
> > g_main_context_acquire() and g_main_context_release(). In release,
> > pending BH/IO call back need to be cleared, but this action can't
> > be triggered automatically when user call g_main_context_release().
>
> I don't understand why this is a requirement, gmctx_acquire/release ensure
> that only one thread attempts to iterate the main loop at a time. this
> isn't currently an issue in qemu, and if we re-implemented qemu_aio_wait()
> to use the same glib interfaces, the tracking of in-flight requests would
> be moved to the block layer via Stefan's 'drop io_flush' patches, which
> moves that block-specific logic out of the main loop/AioContext GSource
> by design. Are there other areas where you see this as a problem?

I think I understand better what you're referring to, you mean that
if qemu_aio_wait was called, and was implementated to essentially call
g_main_context_iterate(), that after, say, 1 iteration, the
iothread/dataplane thread might acquire the main loop and dispatch
block/non-block events between qemu_aio_wait() returned? The simple
approach would be to have qemu_aio_wait() call g_main_context_acquire/release
at the start end of the function, which would ensure that this never
happens.