qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Bug?] qemu-1.6.0 python traceback in GEN qmp-commands.

From: Erik Rull
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Bug?] qemu-1.6.0 python traceback in GEN qmp-commands.h
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 18:15:18 +0200

Luiz Capitulino wrote:
On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 14:21:50 +0100
Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:

On 16 August 2013 08:59, Erik Rull <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

when using the released qemu-1.6.0.tar.bz2, I get the following error message:
   File "/home/erik/qemu-1.6.0/scripts/qapi.py", line 164
     except QAPISchemaError as e:
                             ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
make: *** [qmp-commands.h] Error 1

My guess is that your python is older than 2.6; I think
the "except Foo as e" syntax is new in 2.6. We probably
missed this because most people use a newer Python than
2.6, but configure's check only requires 2.4 or better.

We should probably update the scripts to not use overly
new features (or alternatively decide that 2.6 is our new
minimum -- what do RHEL5 and our other oldest-supported
distros ship?)

For this specific case I think it needs to change to
      except QAPISchemaError, e:

Erik, can you try that and post a patch? Would be interesting
to know if this is the only problem with older python.

Yes, I will try that. I never really tried to send patches to this list...
My python version is 2.4 - as it was assumed already.

Best regards,

Erik