qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] pvpanic plans?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] pvpanic plans?
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:44:20 -0500

Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

> The thread from yesterday has died off (perhaps also because of
> my inappropriate answer to Michael, for which I apologize to him
> and everyone).  I took some time to discuss the libvirt requirements
> further with Daniel Berrange and Eric Blake on IRC.  If anyone is
> interested, I can give logs.  This is a suggestion for how to
> proceed in both QEMU and libvirt.
>

> == Builtin pvpanic ==
>
> QEMU will remove pvpanic from pc-1.5 in 1.6.1 and 1.5.4.  This does not
> break migration.

pvpanic has been a failure.  It's a poorly designed device with even
worse semantics.  I applied it and I'll take the fault for merging it in
the first place.

We should simply scrap it and start over.  It has so few users at this
point that this is still a realistic option.  Using something based on
ISA that requires specific ACPI entries was a mistake.

We should just introduce a simple watchdog device based on virtio and
call it a day.  Then it's cross platform, solves the guest enumeration
problem, and libvirt can detect the presence of the new device.

None of the plans outlined below give us a proper solution.  I think
removing is our best option at this point.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori