qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot Problems Windows XP guest

From: Erik Rull
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot Problems Windows XP guest
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:07:55 +0200 (CEST)

> On August 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 11:31:28PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > Il 27/08/2013 22:26, Erik Rull ha scritto:
> > > It's more a guess, there must be a
> > > change between 1.2.0 and 1.6.0 that prevents a simple Windows XP from
> > > booting completely, if the guest HDD image is placed on a SSD. On a
> > > rotating HDD (with the same commandline except the path to the image) it
> > > boots successfully. The only difference is the speed of the disk access.
> >
> > It could be a real difference, actually.  An unexpectedly fast disk
> > might screw a sloppy driver.  IIRC you're not the first person reporting
> > it.  Stefan, do you think using block throttling could fix it (with some
> > trial and error)?
>
> That might work.  You could start with something like -drive ...,iops=20
> and then disable the limit from the QEMU monitor once the guest OS is
> booting (block_set_io_throttle virtio0 0 0 0 0 0 0).
>
> It would be easier to try -drive ...,cache=writethrough and -win2k-hack
> first as Anthony suggests.
>
> Stefan

Thanks.
I tried that, but when should I reset the throttle? When I reset it some seconds
after the BIOS screen disappeared same result as without throttling. When I keep
it, Windows still reboots, the cycle just takes longer (half an hour), but the
progress seems to be the same as without throttle.
Btw.: my disks are not virtio0, but ide-hd0 and ide-hd1 (yes, I set the throttle
on both!)
To exclude a damage of the image meanwhile, I went back to 1.2.0 and it boots
perfectly.

Best regards,

Erik