qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] When does live migration give up?

From: Alex Bligh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] When does live migration give up?
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 23:37:42 +0100

Paolo,

> Do you mean something like this?
>
>   destination
>      socket()
>      bind() to { sin_port = 0, sin_addr.s_addr = INADDR_ANY }
>      listen()
>      getsockname()
>      send address to source
>      accept()
>      start QEMU with file descriptor returned by accept
>
>   source
>      read address
>      socket()
>      connect()
>      pass socket file descriptor to QEMU and migrate to it
>
> Anything that doesn't use sin_port = 0 and getsockname() is prone to
> race conditions.

From memory we bind() to a specific randomly chosen port and if
that fails retry until bind() succeeds. This is because we
want the port to be within a given range. I believe that is
race free as only one bind() can run at once.

>> Approx 10% of migrations die after many minutes on the
>> customer's platform. This does not appear to happen if migrations are
>> not carried out 50 at a time.
>
> Dying after many minutes usually means that the destination is not set
> up the same as the source, as you said below.

Hmmm. OK I thought that produced an immediate error. Is there any way
of logging what's up to stderr or similar etc?

Alex

--
Alex Bligh