qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM virtio-serial not showing up (was: Re: ARM virtio-s

From: Tom Sutcliffe
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM virtio-serial not showing up (was: Re: ARM virtio-scsi - disks never show up)
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 01:21:20 +0100

I can't check this until Monday, but from memory:

> Do all virtio-* devices need to be ported specially to virtio-mmio or
> should they (in theory at least) just work?

They're intended to just work, although some command line shenanigans are
required at the moment. I've had other virtio devices working on ARM
vexpress-a15, can't remember whether serial did or not.

> Is there a command one can use in the guest to list virtio-mmio
> devices, similar to lspci?
>
> Are virtio-mmio devices self-describing or do they have to be listed
> in the device tree? (it's going to really complicate things if the
> latter ...)

Self describing - qemu adds them to the device tree before it passes the dtb to
the guest kernel.

-Tom