qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Guest VM debug (Int 3 panic)

From: Hu Yaohui
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Guest VM debug (Int 3 panic)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:55:38 -0400

Hi All,
I am trying to debug guest OS through qemu with kvm enabled.
Following is what I have done:
1: fire the qemu-kvm
<snip>
sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -hda vdisk.img -m 4096 -smp 2 -vnc :2 -boot c -s
</snip>

2: wait until login into guest OS (ubuntu 10.04)

3: fire gdb
<snip>
gdb vmlinux
target remote :1234
b do_fork
set arch i386:x86-64
</snip>

4: after I typed "ls" in guest OS. The guest OS paniced with some message related to "int 3 blah blah". Then crashed.

Someone said we should use hardware breakpoint when kvm is enabled, or "monitor system_reset" after set the breakpoint, but it didn't work for me. The hardware breakpoint could not been hit anyway.

I have tried with "-no-kvm", it works normally with breakpoints. But I want to debug the guest OS with kvm enabled. I don't know whether someone has met this similar situation.

Thanks for your time!

Best Wishes,
Yaohui