qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] sync NIC's MAC maintained in NICConf as soon as e

From: Zhanghaoyu (A)
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] sync NIC's MAC maintained in NICConf as soon as emualted NIC's MAC changed in guest
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 01:27:25 +0000

>> > Maybe not essential but 100% of hardware we emulate supports softmacs.
>>
>> Yes, but NICConf is about NIC *configuration*, not random common NIC
>> state.
>>
>> We can capture common NIC state in a separate, properly named data type.
>>
>> If we want to bunch it together with common configuration in NICConf
>> instead, then better rename NICConf to something that actually
>> reflects its changed purpose.  I doubt this would be a good idea.
>
>I agree, it should go into NetClientState, not NICConf.
>My main point is it's a common thing, let's not duplicate code.

Yes, put it into NetClientState is better.
But, need to add updating code for NetClientState.softmac to all devices, right?

>> > I see some disadvantages, yes.
>> > You are going to add code to all devices instead of doing it in one
>> > place, there better be a good reason for this.
Comparing with qemu_announce_self, there is indeed no advantages, on the
contrary, has disadvantages, just as what you said.
but comparing with introducing 'softmac' or something into NIC-related
structures,
it does not need to add any data to NIC-related structures, and introducing
'softmac' also need to add updating code for 'softmac' to all devices, right?
And, I don't think it's a good idea to store the identical data in two buffers,
its consistency should be guaranteed.

Thanks,
Zhang Haoyu