qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qxl problem with xen domU, is xen spice and/or qemu bug

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qxl problem with xen domU, is xen spice and/or qemu bugs?
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:51:20 +0200

  Hi,

> >> #2 When using f19 try without X11 first.  You should have a working
> >>     framebuffer console on qxldrmfb before trying to get X11 going.
> >
> > I tried on Fedora19 minimal installation and with qxl the text console
> > is working and lsmod show also qxl.

Good, so the kernel driver is running fine.

> > Is this your intended?

Yes.

> >> #3 qxl has a bunch of tracepoints.  Enable them, then compare xen
> >>     results with kvm/tcg results to see where things start going wrong.
> >
> > I enabled qxl debug with these qemu paramters:
> > -global qxl-vga.debug=1 -global qxl-vga.guestdebug=20

debug=1 doesn't do much, most is in tracepoints these days.  I'm using
the stderr tracer most of the time (enable it using configure).  Then
you can turn on qxl_* either in monitor (trace-events command) or via
-trace events=<file-with-event-names>.

> > I tried to test Fedora19 on debian sid kvm host same qemu version
> > (1.6) on both sides but with qxl fails to start the DE, also in
> > fallback mode. Probably there are also regression on qemu and/or spice
> > about qxl.

I'm not aware of any regressions.
I'd suggest to try latest spice-server release.

HTH,
  Gerd