qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] kvm binary is deprecated

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] kvm binary is deprecated
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 11:05:17 +0200

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 02:00:39PM +0300, Alexander Binun wrote:
> Stefan , great thanks! We are setting up the scene for experiments...
>
> Unfortunately, we ran into yet one trouble. The configuration: Ubuntu 13.04,
> internal KVM, Qemu 1.4.0. VMs are created using virt-manager.
>
> When we try to create a VM the following error message appears:
>      --- kvm binary is deprecated, please use qemu-system-x86_64 instead
>
> The same message appears when I try to run kvm --version.
>
> Question: how must be upgrade/degrade KVM oro Qemu in order to make them
> collaborate properly ?

It sounds like you may be building the old qemu-kvm.git source code.
Last year qemu-kvm.git was merged back into qemu.git.

It means you should use git://git.qemu-project.org/qemu.git if you are
building from source.

Some distros are creating transitional packages or wrapper scripts that
build QEMU (qemu-system-x86_64) and provide a /usr/bin/kvm or qemu-kvm
executable.

More info:
http://blog.vmsplice.net/2012/12/qemu-kvmgit-has-unforked-back-into.html

Stefan