qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/43] pci, pc, acpi fixes, enhancements

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/43] pci, pc, acpi fixes, enhancements
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 16:14:39 +0200

On Mo, 2013-10-14 at 15:42 -0700, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> "Michael S. Tsirkin" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Anthony, I know you wanted to review some of the patches,
> > since you didn't respond either all's well or you
> > could not find the time.
> > I think we are better off merging them for 1.7 and then - worst case,
> > if major issues surface - disabling the functionality at the last minute
> > than delaying the merge even more.
>
> There is no way I'll pull this for 1.7.  Changes like this aren't going
> to get merged at the last minute.

Hmm?  Patches are discussed and tested for months, with the core not
having seen no big changes since weeks.  Recent revisions of the series
are only fixing the bugs which showed up in testing and some finishing
touches.  It certainly isn't something new poping out of the blue the
last minute.

Why do you ignore the patches and discussions until things are settled
and the pull request comes in?

> A good chunk of the series lacks
> any Reviewed-bys including the actual hotplug behind a pci bridge bits
> which is the whole point of the series.

pci bridge hotplug is only a part of the whole picture.

It is about using an existing standard (ACPI) to communicate hardware
config information between qemu and the guest OS.  Without requiring the
middle man (seabios or other firmware) knowing details it doesn't need
to know for its own job.  And avoid creating one paravirtual interface
after the other to give the firmware the information it needs to
generate the acpi tables.

It is also about having *one* instance (qemu) generates the acpi tables
instead of expecting each firmware duplicate that functionality.  It
makes live a lot easier for alternative firmwares such as ovmf and
coreboot.  For coreboot the patch series (with the complementary
coreboot patches to load the tables from qemu) is a big step forward to
feature parity with seabios.

And, yes, it makes implementing features like pci bridge hotplug and
memory hotplug (oh, and lets not forget pvpanic) alot easier:

 * You implement it in qemu, and you are done.

> This is a huge series and I still am not convinced this is the right
> path forward.  The alternative to this series is a small set of changes
> to SeaBIOS to support PCI bridge hotplug, no?

No.  The alternative is:

 * You create a paravirt interface to communicate the
   config information for $newfeature.
 * You implement that in qemu.
 * You implement that in seabios.
 * You implement that in OVMF.
 * You implement that in coreboot.

> Or 10k SLOC of code into QEMU that includes breaking migration
> compatibility.

On the plus side we can stop maintaining those 10k SLOC in seabios.

The bits will stay there for a while for compatibility with older qemu
versions, but don't need much care any more as all new stuff will go
into qemu instead.

cheers,
  Gerd