qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 42/43] piix4: add acpi pci hotplug support

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 42/43] piix4: add acpi pci hotplug support
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 21:37:32 +0300

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:18:42AM -0700, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> The code is not in shape.  Forget about the existence of 1.7.  Focus
> >> on getting the code right and it will make whatever release it is
> >> ready for.  If that's 1.7, great, but the fact that 1.7 is around the
> >> corner does not mean we're going to merge something that isn't ready
> >> just so it makes the release.
> >
> > OK. Apropos 1.7, how about moving soft freeze and the release out
> > by a couple of weeks?
>
> No.
>
> There is always some reason to delay releases.  We have a release
> every quarter.  It's not a big deal to just wait for a feature for the
> next release.  That's the whole point of doing frequent releases.
>
> > What with you moving over and the kvm forum, people
> > didn't have time to focus on it properly IMO.
> > In particular it's harder than usual to get reviews.
> >
> >> Migration is one issue.
> >
> > Right but what's special about this feature?
> > Almost anything we do affects migration in some way.
>
> There is nothing special and the feedback you are getting is no
> different than any other series.
>

> >> As I said before, testing is another.  There
> >> really should be some test automation for this.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Anthony Liguori
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.
> >
> > If you just want testing hotplug, automation is there.
>
> Unit level testing.  IOW, something that gets run during 'make check'
> to verify that we're generating proper ACPI tables.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori

In particular I do *not* want to write a consumer for
the guest interfaces in qemu. bios has one,
duplicating it in qemu is not a good idea.

By far the best way to test this is to boot some guest,
download tables, then run iasl -d on them.

I used linux guest but that's not necessary,
we could do this by integrating kvm unit test code.
But if we do integrate it, I think it's better to merge
than fork.

Gleb, Paolo, what do you think? OK to merge kvm unit test
into qemu? It depends on qemu anyway, in-tree will make it easier.
Maybe someone's looking at this already?

If people agree I'll try to make sure this happens but I hope it's not a
precondition, it's a lot of work (and it won't help if I'm distracted
rebasing patches :) )