qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] BUG: RTC issue when Windows guest is idle

From: Alex Bligh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] BUG: RTC issue when Windows guest is idle
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 16:13:58 +0100

--On 21 October 2013 15:56:27 +0100 Alex Bligh <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm not sure whether the RTC is meant to be generating some sort of
qemu_notify() here, or using a timer, or what, but it should be doing
something to break out of the select() loop. Stefan - any idea?

To answer my own question, I think it will be using hw/timer/mc146818rtc.c
which (on brief inspection) appears to use the timer code to set a timer
whenever the next event should go off.

There was previously an 'unusual state of affairs' (I won't go as far
as to say 'bug') where if the select loop had no FDs to listen to, it
did not block for ever (UINT32_MAX as was) but exited immediately; I
believe that check may have miscounted existence of the qemu notify fd.
There was also (I think) some confusion between UINT32_MAX and UINT64_MAX.
I believe my timer fixes plus a change or two from Stefan H may have
fixed this - it certainly makes the code easier to read. Unfortunately
these would be intrusive to backport. Anyway, I'd be interested to
know whether it works on master.

--
Alex Bligh