qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Build failure with make-4.0

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Build failure with make-4.0
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 20:37:53 +0100

On 21 October 2013 19:22, Ken Moffat <address@hidden> wrote:
>  I took this to bug-make, but now I'm back here.  The first thing in
> rules.mak is
>
> # Don't use implicit rules or variables
> # we have explicit rules for everything
> MAKEFLAGS += -rR
>
>  and Paul Smith said -
>
> It's a qemu bug, that just happened to work with make-3.82.  By adding
> the -R flag they are stating they don't want to use ANY default variable
> values.  However they are relying on the default variable value for
> ARFLAGS to be set.  If they want to use -R they should set ARFLAGS to an
> acceptable value in their makefile.

Thanks very much for taking the time to follow this up with the
make mailing list (and if you happen to post to that list again
you could pass on my thanks to Paul for looking into this as well).
I guess we should treat ARFLAGS the same way we do LDFLAGS
and friends -- capture the setting in configure (with a default of
"rv" if unset) and write it to config-host.mak. Then we'll be setting
it explicitly for our top level make which can pass it down correctly
to the dtc makefile.

I'll put together a patch...

-- PMM