qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] pvpanic plans?

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] pvpanic plans?
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 17:45:57 +0200

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 04:26:13PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Il 31/10/2013 16:09, Michael S. Tsirkin ha scritto:
> >>
> >> The point of a panicked event is to examine the guest at a particular
> >> moment in time (e.g. host-initiated crash dump).  If you let the guest
> >> run, it may reboot and prevent you from getting a meaningful dump.
> >
> > Well we trust guest anyway, so I think we can trust it to call halt.
>
> No, we cannot.  Reboot-in-guest-after-dump-on-host is a perfectly fine
> configuration.

> >> We need to keep the PANICKED state, but we can make it a normal
> >> "resumable" state.
> >
> > If it's resumable how is it different from PAUSED?
>
> If the guest panics while for some reason libvirtd went down, libvirt
> can see what happened.  It is similar to the "I/O error" state in this
> respect.
>
> > Looks like all transitions from paused state should be allowed from panicked
> > state. So why keep it separate?
>
> Because you can poll for the state instead of watching an event.
>
> Paolo

I see. Maybe it was a mistake to use a separate runtime state for
this, but oh well.

So it should be exactly like paused, we can just find all transitions
from PAUSED and it should be same for PANICKED?
Why isn't DEBUG allowed from PAUSED but allowed from PANICKED then?
Maybe it should be allowed for PAUSED?

--
MST