qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] pvpanic plans?

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] pvpanic plans?
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 16:56:07 +0100

Il 31/10/2013 16:45, Michael S. Tsirkin ha scritto:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 04:26:13PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

>>> Well we trust guest anyway, so I think we can trust it to call halt.
>>
>> No, we cannot.  Reboot-in-guest-after-dump-on-host is a perfectly fine
>> configuration.

>>> If it's resumable how is it different from PAUSED?
>>
>> If the guest panics while for some reason libvirtd went down, libvirt
>> can see what happened.  It is similar to the "I/O error" state in this
>> respect.
>>
>>> Looks like all transitions from paused state should be allowed from panicked
>>> state. So why keep it separate?
>>
>> Because you can poll for the state instead of watching an event.
>
> I see. Maybe it was a mistake to use a separate runtime state for
> this, but oh well.

Yes, we should have had a list of "reasons" why a guest is stopped (I/O
error, panic, gdb, ...) and a command to clear one or more of them;
there can be paused/running/waiting-for-migration/... states, but many
of the states we have are not necessarily in mutual exclusion.

But we cannot really choose now.

> So it should be exactly like paused, we can just find all transitions
> from PAUSED and it should be same for PANICKED?
> Why isn't DEBUG allowed from PAUSED but allowed from PANICKED then?
> Maybe it should be allowed for PAUSED?

PANICKED->DEBUG was added by commit bc7d0e667.  That commit can be
reverted if the panicked state is removed from runstate_needs_reset.

Paolo