qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [v2, 4/4] qemu-char: add missing characters used in key

From: Jan Krupa
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [v2, 4/4] qemu-char: add missing characters used in keymaps
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 16:26:13 +0100

On 11/01/2013 11:00 AM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> 16.10.2013 16:40, Jan Krupa wrote:
>> This patch adds all missing characters used in regional keymap
>> files which already exist in QEMU. I checked for the missing
>> characters by going through all of the keymaps and matching that
>> with records in vnc_keysym.h. If the key wasn't found I looked
>> it up in libxkbcommon library [1]. If I understood it correctly
>> this is also the same place where most of the keymaps were
>> exported from according to the comment on the first line in those
>> files. I was able to find all symbols except "quotebl" used
>> in Netherland keymap.
>>
>> I tested this update with Czech keyboard by myself. I also asked
>> Matej Serc to test Slovenian keyboard layout - he reported problems
>> with it few days ago on this mailing list. Both layouts seems
>> to work fine. I wasn't able to test the remaining layouts but
>> since this change doesn't modify any existing symbols, just adds
>> new ones, I don't expect any sideeffects.
>
> Yes, this patch, while large, is trivial and without any side effects.
>
> Except of one question.  Where we add these entries?  Should we maybe
> sort the table somehow, or introduce some more groups of chars?
>
> (I'm fine with applying this to qemu-trivial as-is).

I agree with sorting those entries to groups. But I think this is not a
straightforward task without completely rewriting the current groups
which seems to be a bit chaotic. Maybe what would be a good inspiration
is this libxkbcommon header file (which was probably used as a base data
for the current vnc_keysym.h, too):

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libxkbcommon/tree/xkbcommon/xkbcommon-keysyms.h

We can convert it into vnc_keysym.h retaining the groups used in
libxkbcommon, there. If you agree I can prepare patch for review.

Jan