qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Curses enabled for Windows 32 binary

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Curses enabled for Windows 32 binary
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 06:47:20 +0100

Am 12.11.2013 23:28, schrieb Mike Levin:
Hello QEMU developers,

I'm trying to do the closes thing to a static linked compile with curses enabled of qemu-system32.exe for the Windows platform as possible.

I've resisted mailing this developer mailing list for a year before I decided to turn here for help. I've made a self-contained QEMU/Linux distro that doesn't require an install, and runs with a double-click from Dropbox or a USB pendrive on Linux, Mac or Windows. Look here for details: MikeLev.in/UX/

Lately, I've been trying to get the magic cocktail of files under control so I can modernize and better control the project and come into license compliance. To that end, I've successfully compiled 1.6.1 for Linux with --enable-curses and static linking. For Mac, I did the close equivalent with Homebrew. You can see these both working in Levinux 2.3.

However, whenever I try to get the Windows version into parity, I fail each time - usually having something to do with unfulfilled dependencies. Over the year, I've tried compiling under MinGW, Cygwin, cross-compiling from Linux, all with insurmountable obstacles (for me).

And so I turn to you QEMU developer gurus to see if this project/challenge sparks anyone's interest? It's mostly about eliminating the pointer-grabbing. I can live with SDL. But the ideal is curses, so you can get something that looks color vim in an xterm window without pointer grabbing (confuses newbies).

Feel free to email me directly at address@hidden if interested helping me with this project.

Thanks.

Mike Levin

Hello Mike,

for MinGW or MinGW-w64, pdcurses is a good choice which worked the last time when I tried it.
If you generate binaries which support both curses and SDL, you have to set SDL_STDIO_REDIRECT=no
in the environment - otherwise the curses output will be sent to a file (no screen output)!

MinGW or MinGW-w64 (which is better) both can be used native or for cross development.
Cygwin is not supported and will currently fail.

Cheers,

Stefan Weil