qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] First Patch, Requesting Comments

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] First Patch, Requesting Comments
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:01:28 -0700

On 11/18/2013 09:45 AM, Andreas Färber wrote:
> Am 18.11.2013 16:59, schrieb Varad Gautam:
>>> To discuss the code you really should post the patch, I couldn't
>>> find any related code by your link.
>>
>> Hi! I had posted the patch onto the list.
>
> Unfortunately several copies of your mail arrived on the list today, and
> only one actually has the patch it talks about threaded to it. ;)

Often-times, this happens when a new contributor fails to realize that
the list is moderated, but that we will moderate non-subscriber's
messages through.  What commonly happens is that a new contributor sends
a message, sees nothing on the archives, so they then subscribe, then
send again under the assumption that it would help; and sometimes even
send a third time when getting impatient that it hasn't shown up in list
archives.  Then, a few hours later, when the moderator finally releases
the gates on the first-time post (a delay which happens whether you
posted as a subscriber or non-subscriber), all of the multiple pending
messages hit the list, making the new poster sound redundant.

Varad, as a new contributor, you are in a position to possibly help us:
what documentation pages did you read to learn where to post your
patches, so that we can try and modify those pages to give more hints to
help the next guy avoid the embarrassment of double posting?

> But welcome to the community, and you'll surely find out how to optimize
> your workflow for the second patch. :)

Indeed. And if you haven't already found it,
http://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch is a great resource (and
again, knowing what pages you HAVE found may help us figure out if we
can tweak those pages to more prominently point to this page).