qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] First Patch, Requesting Comments

From: Varad Gautam
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] First Patch, Requesting Comments
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 00:11:50 +0530

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
> Often-times, this happens when a new contributor fails to realize that
> the list is moderated, but that we will moderate non-subscriber's
> messages through.  What commonly happens is that a new contributor sends
> a message, sees nothing on the archives, so they then subscribe, then
> send again under the assumption that it would help; and sometimes even
> send a third time when getting impatient that it hasn't shown up in list
> archives.  Then, a few hours later, when the moderator finally releases
> the gates on the first-time post (a delay which happens whether you
> posted as a subscriber or non-subscriber), all of the multiple pending
> messages hit the list, making the new poster sound redundant.

Thanks. I was wondering what had happened to the mails when suddenly I saw
a lot of them in my inbox!

> Varad, as a new contributor, you are in a position to possibly help us:
> what documentation pages did you read to learn where to post your
> patches, so that we can try and modify those pages to give more hints to
> help the next guy avoid the embarrassment of double posting?
>

>> But welcome to the community, and you'll surely find out how to optimize
>> your workflow for the second patch. :)
>
> Indeed. And if you haven't already found it,
> http://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch is a great resource (and
> again, knowing what pages you HAVE found may help us figure out if we
> can tweak those pages to more prominently point to this page).

Sure. I went through http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/GettingStartedDevelopers
and http://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch wikis before sending out the
patch. I guess it'd be useful to change these to avoid such happenings.

Thanks for the reply.
Varad