qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] ARM cpu object, setting properties from board model

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] ARM cpu object, setting properties from board model
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 20:01:28 +0000

I find myself with a use case where I would like to set
a CPU object property from the board model init function
(specifically, I'd like the board model to be able to say
"this CPU will boot via PSCI so if you're KVM then start
it appropriately").

I could just reach in and fiddle with the ARMCPU field
the way hw/arm/highback.c does with reset_cbar (and in fact
that's what I'm likely to do for the moment). However it
seems like it would be nicer for it to be an official
QOM property. This is alas not currently possible because
cpu_arm_init() does both 'init' and 'realize', and once
you've called it it's too late to set properties.

Andreas -- did you have any thoughts/plans/code in this area?
Splitting the realize part out of cpu_arm_init(), or
providing a cpu_arm_init_dont_realize() [ugh], would be
easy to code but is it going in the right direction?

thanks
-- PMM