qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] console muti-head some more design input

From: John Baboval
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] console muti-head some more design input
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 09:32:43 -0500

On 11/20/2013 03:12 AM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
   Hi,

I think you are only considering output here, for input we definitely
need some idea of screen layout, and this needs to be stored
somewhere.
Oh yea, input.  That needs quite some work for multihead / multiseat.

I think we should *not* try to hack that into the ui.  We should extend
the input layer instead.

This would be a contrast to how a real system works. IMO, the UI is the appropriate place for this sort of thing. A basic UI is going to be sending relative events anyway.

I think a "seat" should be a UI construct as well.

The functions used to notify qemu about mouse + keyboard events should
get an additional parameter to indicate the source of the event.  I
think we can use a QemuConsole here.

Then teach the input layer about seats, where a seat is a group of input
devices (kbd, mouse, tablet) and a group of QemuConsoles.  With x+y for
each QemuConsole.  The input layer will do the event routing:  Translate
coordinates, send to the correct device.

I think initially we just can handle all existing QemuConsole and input
devices implicitly as "seat 0".  Stick x+y into QemuConsole for now, and
have the input layer get it from there.  At some point in the future we
might want move this to a QemuSeat when we actually go multiseat.

Bottom line: please do the coordinates math in input.c not sdl2.c so we
don't run into roadblocks in the future.

cheers,
   Gerd