qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] create a single workqueue for each vm to update v

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] create a single workqueue for each vm to update vm irq routing table
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 17:25:21 +0200

On 11/26/2013 05:20 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 26/11/2013 16:03, Gleb Natapov ha scritto:
I understood the proposal was also to eliminate the synchronize_rcu(),
so while new interrupts would see the new routing table, interrupts
already in flight could pick up the old one.
Isn't that always the case with RCU?  (See my answer above: "the vcpus
already see the new routing table after the rcu_assign_pointer that is
in kvm_irq_routing_update").
With synchronize_rcu(), you have the additional guarantee that any
parallel accesses to the old routing table have completed.  Since we
also trigger the irq from rcu context, you know that after
synchronize_rcu() you won't get any interrupts to the old
destination (see kvm_set_irq_inatomic()).
We do not have this guaranty for other vcpus that do not call
synchronize_rcu(). They may still use outdated routing table while a vcpu
or iothread that performed table update sits in synchronize_rcu().
Avi's point is that, after the VCPU resumes execution, you know that no
interrupt will be sent to the old destination because
kvm_set_msi_inatomic (and ultimately kvm_irq_delivery_to_apic_fast) is
also called within the RCU read-side critical section.

Without synchronize_rcu you could have

     VCPU writes to routing table
                                        e = entry from IRQ routing table
     kvm_irq_routing_update(kvm, new);
     VCPU resumes execution
                                        kvm_set_msi_irq(e, &irq);
                                        kvm_irq_delivery_to_apic_fast();

where the entry is stale but the VCPU has already resumed execution.

If we want to ensure, we need to use a different mechanism for
synchronization than the global RCU.  QRCU would work; readers are not
wait-free but only if there is a concurrent synchronize_qrcu, which
should be rare.

An alternative path is to convince ourselves that the hardware does not provide the guarantees that the current code provides, and so we can relax them.