qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] outlined TLB lookup on x86

From: Lluís Vilanova
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] outlined TLB lookup on x86
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 17:12:23 +0100

Xin Tong writes:

> Hi LIuis
> we can probably generate vector intrinsics using the tcg, e.g. add support to
> tcg to emit vector instructions directly in code cache

There was some discussion long ago about adding vector instructions to TCG, but
I don't remember what was the conclusion.

Also remember that using vector instructions will "emulate" a low-associativity
TLB; don't know how much better than a 1-way TLB will that be, though.

> why would a larger TLB make some operations slower, the TLB is a direct-mapped
> hash and lookup should be O(1) there. In the cputlb, the CPU_TLB_SIZE is
> always
> used to index into the TLB, i.e. (X & (CPU_TLB_SIZE -1)).

It would make TLB invalidations slower (e.g., see 'tlb_flush' in
"cputlb.c"). And right now QEMU performs full TLB invalidations more frequently
than the equivalent HW needs to, although I suppose that should be quantified
too.

Lluis

 Tollbooth