qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] controlling qemu

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] controlling qemu
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:06:43 +0100

On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 05:59:32PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> I want to implement library in c++, that will start and control QEMU. But I
> dont know how to handle qemu and how to send signals to QEMU. Could you give
> me at least some hint how to do that?

Most management stacks and cloud frameworks seem to be using libvirt
nowadays.  And that's a good thing because a lot of work goes into
libvirt to use the latest and greatest QEMU options, set up networking
and firewalls, PCI passthrough, device hotplug, etc.

So start by looking at http://libvirt.org/ to see if it meets your
needs.

If you really want to write your own library, learn the QEMU
command-line and QMP monitor.  See docs/qmp/qmp-spec.txt and
scripts/qmp/qmp-shell for QMP examples.

Also consider that writing your own library means you'll have to study
the man pages and QEMU source code.  Here is a very quick overview of
QEMU to get you started:
http://vmsplice.net/~stefan/qemu-code-overview.pdf

Stefan