qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Project idea: make QEMU more flexible

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Project idea: make QEMU more flexible
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 13:35:44 +0000

On 7 January 2014 13:26, Stefano Stabellini
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2014, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> The identifiers poisoned by include/qemu/poison.h are
>> an initial but not complete list. Host and target
>> endianness is a particularly obvious one, as is the
>> size of a target long. You may not use these things
>> in your Xen devices, but "qemu-system-null" implies
>> more than "weird special purpose thing which only
>> has Xen devices in it".
>
> I see your point.
> Could we allow target endinness and long size being selected at
> configure time for target-null?
> The default could be the same as the host, or could even be simply
> statically determined, maybe little endian, 4 bytes.

I think this is heading down the "weird special case for
Xen" path, which seems a bad idea. I'd rather see us
able to configure with "no tcg, no kvm" and "only
build in the devices for this minimal xen board",
which pretty much gets you to the same place without
adding a misleading target-null extra binary.

thanks
-- PMM